A job is always going to be there. I know how to make money, and I know how to market myself properly to land a position that would allow me to live comfortably. At the present time, I am not particularly interested in either one of those. I want to push myself, take a risk, get shot out of the cannon, and see where I land. No one can ever take my education and experience away from me, but it is entirely possible to miss out on opportunities because you were too afraid to try or tied down with other commitments. No one has ever achieved great things by following societal rules and conditioning. I have wanted to be different since I changed the spelling of my name from a -y to and -ie when I was in first grade, and I have no intentions of changing who I am.
My words often become convoluted because of the strong emotions behind them, which is why I thought it was important to share these teachings of the Dalai Lama. He is able to, in a few short lines using simple ideas, sum up the shift that has taken place in my belief system over the past year, and I really think it is important for everyone to know and understand the powerful message behind the words he writes.
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R’s:
- Respect for self.
- Respect for others and.
- Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.